Powered By Blogger

Thursday, May 26, 2011

My first encounter with my gf's Father..

I grew up a die-hard Texas Longhorn fan which naturally made me loathe and resent OU and anything Oklahoma in general. I told myself growing up that I would never for any reason cross the northern border into Oklahoma territory nor would I ever date any girl from there. As I was making the drive back down south I-35 from one of the most blessed weekends I’ve ever had I couldn’t help but ponder on how ironic a circumstance it was. After stopping for some delicious fried pie and a large mountain dew in a little town short of the border I couldn’t help but chuckle, and right then and there I said a short prayer to God thanking him that his wisdom far exceeds mine, and that when it comes to planning the future his ways are superior to my ways.  
A million feelings, emotions, and thoughts were circulating through me on my way up to Blanchard, Ok. to visit Lindsay. Of course I was excited; I hadn’t gotten to see much of her since she went back home for the summer, but naturally there was some anxiety when I thought about meeting all of her friends and family, especially her dad. It’s always a little nerve-racking when you have to look the man whose daughter you’re dating right in the eye for the first time (which those of you who have done so can attest to), but the fact that Lindsay’s dad has been a pastor for over twenty years added to the apprehension. I have a reverential respect for all fathers who take care of their families but that reverence intensifies for those appointed by God to be stewards for him. However, the anxiety began to subside the closer I got to the house and there were a couple of factors that allowed for this: 1) Lindsay. The girl just has a way of putting me at ease - the way she smiles, holds my hand and just looks at me with tenderness and affection provides a level of comfort that is hard to explain. 2) I kept repeating Philippians 4:6-7, my favorite verse, and true to its promise, produced in my psyche a peace that surpasses understanding.
The first thing I noticed about Lindsay’s house was how good it smelled. There was some sort of sweet aroma in the air; I couldn’t quite make it out but it was soothing and vaguely reminded me of my own home. This was definitely a positive and welcoming sign; in hindsight, I was probably reaching and being a tad superstitious, but at the time I thought it was comforting that the scent of my girlfriend’s house immediately evoked memories of my own. This brought about very encouraging implications - not only did it make the house seem less intimidating, but also  placed her mom on a level with my mom in that they shared similar housekeeping tastes. I met Mr. Cox in the kitchen and I shook his hand, introduced myself and followed him into the living room. Without getting into too much detail suffice it to say we had a great conversation. He’s a very charismatic man and has a powerful presence that captivates a room (which should be expected from a preacher of over 20 years). I got to ask him all sorts of questions about his calling as a preacher, his pastoral experiences, and even his viewpoints on theological matters. Interestingly enough, there came a time where I think we both forgot that Lindsay was even in the room. I was trying to soak everything he had to say up (I, too believe there is a evangelistic calling on my life, maybe not as a preacher, but in ministry nonetheless – and anytime I get the privilege of listening to someone with that much experience in ministry as Mr. Cox I’m certainly going to listen, and intently at that), and he seemed eager to pour into me, seemingly intrigued by my interest in his life experiences.
After talking for what seemed like an hour but in reality probably only half of that we got up, shook hands again and he left to hit the road (I can’t recall the reason why, my mind was still buzzing from the awesome conversation that had just taken place). I didn’t notice it until after we had gotten up but there was definitely a presence in the room while we were talking. As Lindsay toured me around the rest of the house I couldn’t help but wonder how, if at all, this relationship will blossom and if God had something in store for us in the future. I do know that I don’t believe in coincidences and that “all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to his purpose (Romans 8:28).” The way Lindsay was smiling at me I could tell she was pleased with how the first “daddy/boyfriend” interaction went; as I stared into those pretty brown eyes that I love gazing into I couldn’t help but think that we might be on to something.
“Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of his knowledge in every place (2 Corinthians 2:14).”
To God be the glory in the church through Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.        

No comments:

Post a Comment